The Prosecuting Attorneys' Council of Georgia invites Prosecutors to attend the Asset Forfeiture training being held at The Prosecuting Attorneys' Council located at 1590 Adamson Pkwy, Fourth Floor, Morrow, Georgia 30260. The training will be held on Friday, February 24, 2017 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Nuts and Bolts of Asset Forfeiture
On April 2, 2015, the General Assembly passed HB 233, the Uniform Civil Forfeiture Procedure Act, which not only will apply to Drug Forfeiture, but forfeitures of any kind, including RICO and Gambling. The Bill provides many changes in the manner in which assets are to be seized and forfeited. It also provides many changes in which forfeited assets are to be distributed, used and reported on an annual basis. This class is designed to teach this new procedure which will become effective on July 1, 2015 and applies to all seizures occurring on that date or thereafter.
Topics specifically covered during this training include:
- The Purposes of Asset Forfeiture
- What can and can't be Seized
- The Procedures Required to Pursue Asset Forfeiture
- The Distribution of Forfeited Assets
- The Lawful Purposes to which Forfeited Assets may be used
- The Reporting Requirements for Law Enforcement and District Attorneys