Staff Analysis of the Legislation
This bill would amend Article 33 of Chapter 2 of Title 20 of the O.C.G.A to change the name of the bill from Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Act to the Georgia Educational Freedom Act and to expand eligibility for the scholarship program from special needs students to include foster children and military family students.
- The bill would change the term “students with disabilities” to a more generic “many GA students” have special needs.
- The bill would change the phrase “with or without disabilities” to “not expressly included in this article.”
- Eligibility would be defined as:
- Student with a disability as specifically listed with an IEP written by the school;
- Section 504 student with a 504 plan written by the school;
- Foster care student; (with definitions)
- Military family student.(with definition of parent on active duty or in the national guard or reserves)
- Students in the psychoeducational program would be eligible.
- It would change the requirement for a parent to reside in GA for at least one year to that the student has spent the prior school year in attendance at a Georgia public school.
- Special Needs Students and Section 504 Students would be eligible until age 21, and foster care and military family students until age 20, unless graduated.
- It would eliminate the requirement for the receiving school to submit an application to the DOE and require a mere notification.