Staff Analysis of the Legislation
This bill would amend Chapter 2 of Title 20 of the O.C.G.A. to delete obsolete, unused and unnecessary provisions; to clarify eligibility for enrollment; to eliminate a deadline for annual performance evaluations; to clarify the legal status of RESA’s; to shift home school registration and reporting to the DOE; and to provide conformity of several provisions:
- It would allow the SBOE to meet at a place of its choosing and for any actions taken at a meeting, regardless of location, to be in force and effect;
- It would remove the chair’s authority to require staff to provide information and perform functions for the Board;
- It would prescribe an oath of office for all local superintendents (females, too);
- It would add other countries to other states as residencies that would count toward initial enrollment in Georgia public schools at the grade level achieved in the former residence.
- It would remove any deadline for educator annual evaluations (formerly April 1);
- It would restore to the State Superintendent the authority to organize the DOE and prescribe the functions of each entity within the DOE;
- It would give RESA’s the status of local units of administration;
- It would remove the authority of the SBOE to regulate contracts over $100.00 and over $100,000 on behalf of students to give preference to Georgia products, and would remove the stipulation that contracts over $100,000 could not be split to avoid the regulation;
- It would transfer the responsibility of local systems to register and monitor home school programs to the DOE.
- It would repeal a number of other statutes in Title 20, most of which are outdated or reference programs that have never been implemented or funded.