BioMichael B. Enzi was sworn in as Wyoming's 20th United States Senator on January 7, 1997.
Enzi has made a name on Capitol Hill for his unique way of breaking down party lines and working across the aisle. His way of working across party lines is gaining momentum around the nation’s capital. Since 2005, under his 80 percent rule he has had 39 bills go through the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee and be signed into law by the President. The average committee gets 3 bills passed every 2 years. Enzi believes that people can agree on 80 percent of the issues 80 percent of the time and if they leave the other 20 percent out they can get a lot done. With that mentality he has turned one of the most contentious Senate committees into one of the most productive.
Find more and use less is Enzi’s motto when it comes to energy production and he knows Wyoming is the state to provide energy to the world as we embrace renewable fuels. Enzi has made a point to educate his colleagues about the array of energy Wyoming produces and can continue to produce into the future. He supports legislation that promotes Wyoming’s clean burning coal, natural gas, methane gas, oil and wind energy. Enzi is working with other western senators to increase federal support for coal-to-liquid technology.
In the final hours of the 109th Congress Enzi was instrumental in passage of legislation that will provide a projected $1.6 billion to Wyoming over the next 15 years from the Abandoned Mine Land fund.
Enzi has been a quiet leader moving the U.S. forward in its battle against AIDS on the world front. He continues efforts to open Cuba up to travel, trade and most importantly new ideas.
Enzi helped author the reauthorization of the Workforce Investment Act which would create a streamlined job training and employment system vital to employers and workers. He formed the Rural Education Caucus and strives to ensure the unique challenges small population schools face are not overlooked in federal education legislation. He was one of only two Congressional representatives to the U.N. General Assembly in the 108th Congress. He has authored innovative legislation that would reinvent our medical justice system.
As a senior member of the Senate Budget Committee has contributed to a more punctual and fiscally responsible federal spending blueprint the past few years and he continues to press for a balanced federal budget and payment of our national debt.
Enzi has stood beside the independent ranchers and farmers of our nation during times of drought, disease, foreign competition, industry concentration and predator infestation, sponsoring bills taking on captive supply problems, country of origin labeling and endangered species reform.
A former small business owner and current member of the Senate Small Business Committee, Enzi has remained a strong advocate of small businesses by promoting or preventing legislation depending on its effect on small businesses in the same manner he advocates for rural interests. Small businesses and individual entrepreneurs and inventors have benefitted from special conferences organized by Enzi.
Enzi values our public lands. He advocates both access and responsible utilization and consideration of the local perspective in natural resource management decisions.
Pre-Senate Service and Family
Enzi has two daughters and one son; Amy, Emily and Brad. Emily and her husband Michael McGrady, have two daughters, Megan and Allison. Brad and his wife, Danielle, are the proud parents of Trey and Lilly.
Enzi's wife Diana has a bachelor's degree from the University of Wyoming as well as a master's degree in adult education. Diana is part of Senate Spouses, former President of the Congressional Club and past President of the International Club and a volunteer for several organizations. Diana is also working hard to save lives. In partnership with the Marshall Legacy Institute she is working to provide countries infested with land mines with specially trained landmine detecting dogs and handlers to find and eliminate the mines. Diana started the CHAMPS or Children Against the Mine Problem program. School children across Wyoming gave a quarter and helped raise enough money to send a dog, aptly named "Wyoming", to Sri Lanka. Diana hopes schoolchildren in other states will follow suit.
Enzi is an elder in the Presbyterian Church and taught the high school Sunday school class for more than 10 years. Enzi's love for Wyoming grew as he became an Eagle Scout. He has been honored as a Distinguished Eagle by Scouts and Significant Sig by Sigma Chi Fraternity. He is an avid hunter, fly fisherman, bicyclist, and reader. He is a past co-chair on the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus. He and his son Brad built their own canoe as a family project. He was a youth soccer coach for 10 years.