BioA native of Virginia Beach, Ron Villanueva was involved in his community at an early age, volunteering for local organizations and elected officials on the grassroots level. He soon began working as a Legislative Aide for Senator (then Delegate) Frank Wagner.
In 2002 Ron became the youngest person ever elected to Virginia Beach City Council, winning an At-Large seat. In 2006 he was re-elected as the top vote getter, with over 50% of the ballots cast, running in a field of 10 candidates.
On City Council Ron worked to hold the line on taxes and promote economic growth, such as by attracting international businesses like Operation Smile to Virginia Beach, and working with local leaders and private business to expand operations of others.
His support of the Town Center office/restaurant/shopping complex has further enhanced the business profile of the area, and Ron’s efforts were instrumental in preserving one of the key economic engines of Virginia Beach, Oceana NAS, which was at one time a target to relocate. More recently, his decades of support for Operation Smile was a key element in their world-wide headquarters relocation effort to Virginia Beach in 2010, and he continues to enrich the area with additions such as the Williams Farm Community Recreational Facility, the Virginia Beach Field House and the Atlantic-Bay Mortgage Homes for Heros program.
In 2009 Ron won the 21st district House of Delegates seat in Virginia Beach, becoming the first Filipino-American (Fil-Am) elected to Virginia state government.
In his first session in Richmond, Ron successfully carried legislation allowing Virginia to drill for oil and natural gas offshore in the Atlantic Ocean. Ron also focused on helping Virginia recover from a slumping economy by opposing tax increases and working to ease the blow of severe budget cuts, on education, healthcare and transportation. (see Legislation section of web site for more details on Ron’s legislation).
He currently sits on the Transportation Committee, Courts of Justice Committee and the Finance Committee, the committee most responsible for protecting our tax dollars and creating a pro-jobs environment for the Commonwealth. Ron has also been appointed to the Virginia-North Carolina High Speed Rail Compact Commission, the Attorney General’s Child Support and Guidelines Review Panel, the Virginia Disability Commission, Supplier Diversity Review Panel and Immigration Task Force Panel.
Ron is partner at SEK Solutions, a government and military services provider. A graduate of Old Dominion University, Ron spent 8 years in the Coast Guard Reserves. He and his wife Cathy are raising four children and attend St. Marks Church.
- Designated as a “Virginia Pro-Business Legislator” in 2012 by Virginia Chamber of Commerce; received Free Enterprise Award. Award recognizes legislators who went above and beyond to champion free market principles.
- Made Honorary Major in the Civil Air Patrol at 2012 General Assembly. This honor was given in recognition of the commitment to ensure the safety of the citizens of Virginia.
- Endorsed by Virginia Pilot in 2011 who said “[Villanueva] has solidified relationships with the governor and House leaders and has a better grasp of what’s doable in Richmond. Voters should send him back to Richmond”.
- Honored with “Defender of Liberty” award by American Conservative Union for the 2011 session of the General Assembly. This honor reflects a consistent commitment to conservative principles on a wide range of issues.
- 2011 SunTrust Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Award. Award recognizes an individual’s effort to promote or further Diversity and Inclusion in the greater Hampton Roads community.
- Rated 100% “family friendly” by the Family Foundation in 2011. Upholding family values as they relate to issues dealing with the principles of life, marriage, parental authority, constitutional government or religious liberty.